Welcome to Our Neighborhood!
 
Think spring



arlyn Square is a bucolic oasis in the heart of bustling, historic Bailey's Crossroads in Fairfax County, Virginia — just minutes from the cultural diversity of Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Washington, DC.
  
Built in 1971, our 37 townhouses are tucked away on a cul-de-sac at the end of Spring Lane off Columbia Pike. We're just inside Fairfax County's border with Arlington, between Leesburg Pike and Carlin Springs Road. (Map)
 
We have an active, engaged community association with an elected Board of Directors and appointed subcommittees. Our square is a mix of new and long-time residents. Some are original owners while others have lived here for two or three decades, which speaks to the great quality of life in our friendly neighborhood.


  CARLYN SQUARE SURVEY RESULTS  

The Board of Directors conducted a survey during March, 2021 to gauge homeowners’ opinions on community capital expenses. The instigation for the poll came from owners who wanted input into Board decisions about repaving the parking lot. 

Five questions were asked for the purpose of determining how soon the parking lot should be repaved and whether to borrow money to help pay for the cost. Five more questions asked homeowners about issues for future Board attention. There were 32 out of 35 possible votes (of the 37 units, 2 homeowners each own 2 homes).

The results were released at the annual homeowners' meeting on March, 27, 2021 and shown are below:


Carlyn Square Survey Results

Homeowners' Interests

LEARN MORE ABOUT THE AREA
   

BAILEY'S CROSSROADS IN THE CIVIL WAR

by Dottie Moser, Resident, Goodwin House Bailey's Crossroads (GHBC)


A little more history to sharpen our knowledge of the BC in GHBC, the place we call home.

    

The opening months of the American Civil War proved to be a disruptive and unforgettable episode in the history of Bailey's Crossroads. Virginia voted to secede from the Union on May 23, 1861. In July, 1861, the Union Army met with defeat during the first Battle of Manassas and retreated to Washington. The Confederate Army advanced quickly behind it to occupy Falls Church and Munson’s Hill overlooking Bailey's Crossroads. The Confederates built a crude fort atop Munson’s Hill, turning Bailey's Crossroads into a "killing field.” It became impossible to walk the Leesburg Pike without being shot. The official reports on the "War of the Rebellion" indicate that at the end of August, 1861, a series of skirmishes took place at a location known as Bailey's Crossroads. The local balance of power changed completely on September 28, 1851 when the Confederate Army silently withdrew its forces from Munson’s Hill to Manassas, where they had good railroad and road connections.


After this Confederate withdrawal, the area quickly was re-occupied by the Union Troops. On November 20, 1861, a significant troop review took place at Bailey's Crossroads.

General George McClellan observing the Army of the Potomac's 70,000 man Grand Review on November 20, 1861.
Thousands of Union troops paraded before President Abraham Lincoln and the northern press as well as military leaders and many other onlookers from Washington. Army commanders selected Bailey's Crossroads as the site because of its nature as a large, unbroken plain.*


After the Civil War, Bailey's Crossroads returned to being a rural farming community until the post-World War II years, when a massive wave of development occurred. Look around as you travel to and from GHBC and you will get the picture.

______________________

*This ceremony inspired Julia Ward Howe, visiting from New York, to compose "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" after hearing the troops sing "John Brown's Body," from which she borrowed the melody.


Further Reading